Thursday, March 11, 2010

Omega Shipping hundreds of individuals have noted their horrific experiences

Originally Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009

Omega Shipping hundreds of individuals have noted their horrific experiences.
The following narrative explains the interaction I have had with Omega Shipping since 7/31/2009.
As you will see in this document, Omega Shipping has leveraged duplicitous and unethical methods to force me into
(1) paying exorbitant fees and
(2) working with an international firm that is attempting to charge even more fees to retrieve our property.

In July 2009, I contacted several firms regarding an international move to Budapest Hungary from Las Vegas Nevada.
After speaking with Hillary Cammer at Omega Shipping, I felt as though this firm offered the best service and value for a door-to-door move, even though Omega Shipping refused to provide an on-site inspection and estimate.
This should have been my first clue this was not a company to work with.

I was told they would handle everything including packing our belongings in Las Vegas Nevada, the international shipment, and then a contracted local firm would clear our belongings through customs and deliver them.
The quote I received on 7/29/2009 was for $6450.
On 7/31/2009, I signed the quote, Omega Shipping’s Agreement, and paid a $1500 deposit.

Our move was scheduled for 8/17.
On that day, local movers were to pick up our property, pack it, inventory it, and remove it for international shipment.
Until 12:31am on 8/17, we had not been contacted by the local movers and after calls and emails, received an email from Hillary Cammer stating the local movers were in fact going to arrive.

On 8/17, three individuals arrived, none of whom spoke any English, packed up our property, put in on a truck and left.
There was no receipt provided and no itemized inventory given to us.
We were scheduled to fly from Las Vegas to Budapest Hungary the next day, 8/18.

After 10 days, I received an invoice from Omega Shipping for $11450.06, $5000.96 more than originally quoted.
I was told the shipment was much larger than expected.
I had no verification this was accurate.
There was no way for me to say, “Yes, you’re right, it is much larger than we thought it would be.”
I was unable to dispute any allegations.
Furthermore, I was already in Hungary.
There was not anything I could do to terminate this relationship with Omega Shipping and use another moving company.
I was essentially extorted into paying an extra $5000.

On 8/31, I reluctantly wired the funds to Omega Shipping, they would not accept any other form of payment, which is to create a scenario where there is no way for me to recoup those funds if there are problems with the move.
This is a deceptive business practice which should be investigated by the Attorney General’s office.

I was told our shipment would take 2-3 weeks, however, our container did not leave the US until 9/10, three weeks after it was picked up, and is not scheduled to arrive in Germany until 10/4.

In Hungary, we were passed to another firm, EuroMove, who was to handle the shipment from Germany to Budapest, and deliver it to our home.
EuroMove began stating that we were supposed to have been given detailed inventories, so exact that we should know exactly what items are in each box.
At no time did Omega Shipping tell us this needed to happen, nor did the movers in Las Vegas create these precise lists.
EuroMove stated that it was standard procedure to have these lists and that Omega Shipping was negligent.
Because of this failure, we will be subject to much higher customs fees, as much as 300% of the value of our property.

Over the next few days, EuroMove began asking for us to sign countless documents, including several Powers of Attorney.
It is public knowledge that many businesses in Hungary utilize deceptive practices to inflate charges; we did not want to sign these forms and provide color copies of our passports, ID cards, Social Security cards, etc that would make identity theft very easy.
There was no way for us to be sure our information was secure or how it was going to be used, especially if numerous Powers of Attorney were signed.
We did not know this company and had no reason to trust them.

As a precaution, we visited with the local Hungarian Customs officials to discuss the matter.
We were given very explicit guidance that was contrary to everything stated by EuroMove.
Immediately I contact Jeanine Berrios at Omega Shipping.
Her response was that we should contact the local company and handle it ourselves.
This answer was unacceptable.

Hillary Cammer responded to my email stating she wanted to discuss the matter over the phone.
Having pre-existing knowledge that 90% of the things she said over the phone were inaccurate, I wanted everything in writing via email.
Both Jeanine and Hillary refused to comply.

We then began to receive invoices from EuroMove.
First for 300 Euro and then there were implications that we would be seeing even higher charges to bring our shipment into the city limits.
Hungarian Customs officials told us this was an attempt at fraud.

Again, I contacted Omega Shipping and again Hillary Cammer said she would only discuss this matter over the phone.
This was unacceptable.

I was also told that this Terminal Fee was not included in our all inclusive, door-to-door service.
On the phone, Hillary said that once I paid Omega Shipping, I would not be charged another penny by anyone, with the exception of customs fees.
However, after my property was picked up, I received an invoice stating that several fees were not included.
Again, Omega Shipping was in possession of everything I own and changed things knowing there was nothing I could do.

I sent out another email, this time to both Omega Shipping and EuroMove, stating that I was not satisfied with EuroMove and wanted Omega Shipping to utilize another local firm for this portion of our relocation.

I was then directed to Mr. Boaz Aviani, President of Omega Shipping, who said he would refund us $2300 but that we would be on our own to get our property from the German terminal to our home.
I explained to Mr. Aviani that this entire catastrophe was unacceptable and that I would not allow him to leave us high-and-dry without our belongings; that we had a contract for him to provide services and that if he failed to do so, there would be legal ramifications.

Mr. Aviani would also have me believe that EuroMove is asking for documentation per Hungarian regulations.
As previously mentioned, this is not accurate, which initiated contact with Omega Shipping.
I contacted Omega Shipping because I was told by local officials in Hungary that EuroMove was not following the law.
In fact I was told that at best they are ignorant and have no idea what they are doing, at worst they are trying to scam us.

Mr. Aviani responded to my emails by saying that he would no longer deal with me, but only our attorney.

It is now 10/1, I have no property, am at the mercy of a company that has been leveraging deceptive practices since Day 1, who has subcontracted my relocation to a company in Hungary who is obviously dishonest, and now refuses to take responsibility for this situation.

Omega Shipping has leveraged our personal property as a means by which to obtain fees and payments from us under duress. Their refusal to provide guidance or statements of any kind via written correspondence proves guilt. Obviously, they do not want make any promises in writing that could be used in future legal activities.

The fact Omega Shipping is coercing me to utilize a company I know is attempting duplicitous activities is incorrigible. Even worse, they are trying to turn the tables on me, as if any of this is due to my actions.
I paid Omega Shipping in advance and have little recourse outside of a court to retrieve my payment.
At this point, I may never get my property.
My only fault is entering into an arrangement with Omega Shipping.

I am not alone in my continual problems with Omega Shipping.
Recent online searches have yielded hundreds of results where countless individuals have noted their horrific experiences.
All of these complaints also mention Omega Shipping’s method of low quotes and high invoices once property is no longer in the possession of the owner.
These entries also note Hillary Cammer’s unethical actions, Boaz Aviani’s dismissal of customer issues, and “all-inclusive” door-to-door moving packages leaving the customer with thousands of dollars in additional fees in order to retrieve their property.

I am not naïve and understand that an international relocation is a long and arduous process.
However, I signed an agreement with Omega Shipping in good faith; I assumed they would look out for my best interests, especially given the amount of money involved. I assumed they would fulfill their end of the agreement and actually deliver my property without duplicitous actions. I was wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment